Sunday 16 August 2015

Book treasure. The Complete Jujitsan.

I have really rather fallen for this handsome fellow I pulled out of a bag of tattered old books.

A fabulous book, entitled The Complete Jujitsan, by W.H.Garrud, written in 1914. The book has those wonderful instructions with LOTS of photographs typical of early exercise books,

 a magnificent picture of W.H. Garrud's Japanese mentor who has the best moustache ever,

and some great text, mentioning that even females can learn this useful sport!

 I love W.H. Garrud's expression - in fact, everything about him!
I photographed it quickly with my phone,  told a friend about it, and it turns out that her husband is writing a film script that includes as a character none other than W H Garrud! So I sent it to her immediately, before photographing it better, and before I got too fond of him to give away. A brief encounter, you might say.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful and hilarious, and what a coincidence about your friend writing that script! Though it's a shame you had to part with it.

    I'm not sure I don't suspect that the Japanese fellow's moustache isn't false however. And imagine the covert Edwardian eroticism to be derived from practising jujitsu with a female friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a magnificent moustache, even if detachable!

      Delete