Thursday 8 September 2011

Riding with Swallows

I was riding round a huge stubble field this morning, and as we trotted along the long hedge, we were joined by three swallows. They swooped low around Thomas's legs, and in front of him, looping round and back, with a little flip of wings and an occasional chirp. Thomas wasn't afraid of them, even when one swooped beneath him. I could look down on their backs, and clearly see shining dark blue feathers, and the very compact shape of shoulders and wings. They flew with us twice round the field, even when we cantered. When I walked Thomas at the end so he could stretch his neck and cool down before we returned to the yard, the swallows swished round us once more and then up and away. I thought of the journey the swallows will soon start, and how my horse and I, and the big field, will still be here when they return in the spring.

1 comment:

  1. Swallows are dreams that will return in spring.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete