Tuesday 14 October 2014

A story in eleven tweets!

A rather different writing project, creating a story to be published in a series of tweets!
I was asked to work with an after school book group of children in Barry Library. The group aged 7 to 9 years and part of the Chatterbooks project, meet regularly to discuss stories they have read, but this time they were going to be authors.

I started by giving them an 'author' pencil, and I had made grids with 140 spaces to match the characters of a tweet, with the hashtags we needed added in as well.
The story had to be created in an hour, and the individual tweets had to be interesting in their own right as well as making a narrative. I admit that I had no clear idea how it was going to work! But we started in fine style and it was a noisy session with mad ideas flying around and lots of laughter.
Some library staff sat in on the session, and posed for a photo afterwards, looking rather like the usual suspects.
And then the story typed and tweeted!
I've just realised it doesn't have a title! But you can find it on the twitter feed of Vale of Glamorgan libraries, @voglibraries, with the hashtags #cbxweek and #lovelibraries or you can read it right here. You will see that, although I did guide the shape of the story, the content is pure 7 to 9 year old imagination, and I love the ending which is really asking for the sequel to be written. Enjoy!

Here is a haunted house story, with cow shaped slippers and spider skin swords Brace yourselves!

I opened the secret book and eight wriggling legs reached out and dragged me into the pages and then...

I found myself in a dark and gloomy haunted house. Six red eyes were staring at me, and then...

out of the shadows stepped a three-headed girl. I am Triple she muttered. I need your help. Its cold in here and...

I need three hats without me going into the dark cold weather, because if I go outside I will vanish into thin air.

I stepped outside. The hatshop was guarded by ghost guards with spider skin swords. I felt in my pockets, finding...

some bubblegum. Step aside I said, or I will blow a huge bubble & stick your swords together - forever! The knights replied

Bubblegum is our worst enemy, we will step aside. Enter the hat shop and buy your hats in safety.  Farewell. And so...

after buying three woolly stripy spotty luminous hats, I returned to the dark & gloomy haunted house to Triple, saying

Here are your stripy spotty luminous hats. Now can I go home for tea? Its chocolate fajitas, I don't want to miss them.

She said Before you go back, could you buy my spider eight woolly slippers shaped like cows - they must be size 4!












4 comments:

  1. That's absolutely brilliant, kind of a very clever development of consequences. Well done you and the children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is superb - better than a lot of 'grown-up' stuff I've read lately - and oh the mental pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I was delighted by the children picking up their ideas and running with them, uninhibited by any feeling of what was 'wrong' or 'right'. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete