Monday 15 July 2013

log cabin quilts

Years ago I made quilts. They were mostly about 45 inches square, because that was the size of the floor space in the tiny sitting room in the very small house I lived in at the time, and were intended to be lap quilts or wall hangings.  I made and sold several in the 'log cabin' style, and was recently sent a photo of this one - sold  possibly 12 years ago, and now looking very nice hanging on a wall. A friend had seen it and recognised it!

This encouraged me to try and find my journal from that time, with all my other quilt photos in. I haven't found it yet, BUT I did dig out an unfinished log cabin quilt that I have carried around for years, and not finished.
The colours are a bit more challenging than I remember, but I am inspired to finish it.
I think I stopped sewing because I thought it was taking up time I should have been writing poetry - or perhaps it was because I moved to a larger house and the floor space in the sitting room was too large!

2 comments:

  1. I am in awe of anyone who can quilt. I watched a friend once prepare some pieces for a quilt she was making, and I immediately knew I didn't have what it takes - accuracy, neatness, planning.... and the rest. What gorgeous pieces you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be absolutely honest, I was more of a broad sweep and NOT neat and accurate quilter! The lovely thing about sewing with strips is it can be done quite quickly, and the quilt plans itself as you go along! And with the hand stitching, I realised that as long as the stitches are consistant, they don't have to be tiny. I did love it though.

    ReplyDelete