Thursday 7 November 2013

Butterflies. Haiku. Printing.

I found a beautiful scruffy book, published in 1945, with wonderful prints of butterflies, and decided to give them a different life. I've been looking for a way to present some haiku, and the butterflies looked ideal.
First, to decide, from the 12 plates in the book, which butterflies best represent each season. Then I printed the name of the season in gold, and my haiku in black. I am very pleased with the result. Here's summer
and autumn
Printing on old paper gives a really lovely impression. Paper from the 1940s is rough and very nice, and the colours fantastic. I also like paper from the early 20th century. Here's my washing line, which is transformed into a flight of poetic butterflies.
So now I have two sets of four seasons, and will put them in frames to take to craft fairs that are coming up in December!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I love those - how brilliant. I saw a butterfly in the woods this week, I had to stop and remind myself which month we're in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am really interested in letterpress printing words onto existing images, and these lovely butterflies were an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete