Thursday 29 May 2014

What my voice looks like

Last week I went to the recording studio at Ty Cerdd in the Wales Millennium Centre, to record three collections of poetry. I have been thinking for a while it would be a good idea to have a cd as well as the poetry packets to offer.

I really like the space. There's something about all the textured soundproofing around the walls and ceiling, the stillness it gives, the big screen in front of the glass looking through to the studio, and the seclusion within.

Here is Jim Unwin, who recorded my reading, and was wonderfully tuned in to the way I wanted to read and make it sound. He made the session very smooth and painless and I appreciated his patience!

I lined my poetry packets up on the stand in front of the microphone. Then I stood in the small space, and read aloud.
It was very interesting to listen to the poems. I'm always too busy reading them either on the page or out loud, to actually hear them. And I was fascinated to see what my voice looks like. This is how the three winter haiku appear.
A fascinating indoor, inward looking, focussed world.

Then I drove home,  took Thomas out on the rain washed road, and listened to the sound of his hooves. It was a great contrast!

4 comments:

  1. Thomas has splendid ears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voices are mischievous things - they never seem to sound to other people as they sound to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward very much to listening to the poems that I normally read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chloe, Thomas does have magnificent ears, of many colours, and such a good shape. I haven't written poetry about them yet, but...

    Anny, I am actually used to hearing my voice, as I was on the radio for some years a while ago, and spent time working on making it sound acceptable for broadcasting. What was strange was hearing my voice reading my own poems!

    Peter, I hope they sound like you've read them!

    Thank you all for your lovely comments. xx

    ReplyDelete