Saturday 3 May 2014

Prospero and Table Mountain

I walked up  Table Mountain outside Crickhowell, starting on the valley floor, next to the river, and looking up at my destination.
The 'table' makes a wonderful circular viewing platform, with the valleys below and peaks stretching above and away on all sides. In the damp air, the colours were intense and magnified. Breathtaking.
The noise of the wind blotted out all other sounds. Clouds rushed past, ragged hounds in full cry streaming over the ridge. I thought of Prospero saying to Ariel "Thou shalt be free as mountain wind," and thought what a fierce freedom that would be.
How wonderful to see Prospero giving his "this rough magic" speech up here. Breaking his staff and giving up his tiny place in the elemental magical world. I had a tremendous desire to follow the path on the next ridge, and keep walking, into the clouds and away.




2 comments:

  1. Do you think Shakespeare walked up many mountains? I suppose they lived much closer to the elements anyway, but I wonder, I don't really see him as a rural chap, but there's the mystery.
    I love the wind on mountains - makes you realise just how totally insignificant we are. And I love that feeling when you're high up and looking down is a bit surreal, as if you're stepping out of an airplane - it plays with your mind. Hope you're enjoying these excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about our ancestors being closer to the elements and the seasons, even if they were in an urban setting. And I always think that Shakespeare understood just about everything, regardless!
    I've always walked a lot, but this new thing of a mountain or ascent once a week, and taking no agenda with me, just being open to the experience is marvellous. And having an impact already on my own writing and ways of thinking, which is what I was hoping for.

    ReplyDelete