Wednesday 18 June 2014

Are you being pursued by a bear?

Exit, pursued by a bear is one of the most famous stage directions in theatre history, from Shakespeare's Winter's Tale, Act II scene iii.

I wonder how it was done in the Elizabethan theatre. I have decided to celebrate it with letterpress and knitting.

I am rather proud of my mohair bear, with eyes and a nose - a nose most unusual for my knitting, but it had to be done.

And poor Antigonus, looking a little dejected, with mad crazy orange hair, and a motley body.
It's printed with a lovely big wooden font, with stylish buttons to loop the puppets into place.
I sometimes feel like there's a bear chasing after me with a list of thingsI have to do, brandishing deadlines and expectations and frantic stuff. Hmm. But I suppose if it's a mohair bear with no teeth then that's ok.
Exit pursued is in my Etsy shop, and is coming with me to the Dinefwr Festival this weekend. http://etsy.me/1yhxTxu

No comments:

Post a Comment