Friday 6 June 2014

Musical Extravagance. SEA DOGS, a pirate tale!

One of the best days ever today, performing my musical pirate story for children SEA DOGS, with a great brass ensemble of young players at the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff. I really like the building, and to perform there is a pleasure.
 Composer Gareth Wood and I wrote Sea Dogs about four years ago, and it's been performed many times, always with an excited audience of children dressed as pirates! Gareth is a wonderful composer, and his music illustrates my story brilliantly. Here I am gazing upon him fondly. I always introduce him to the children as 'the genius Gareth Wood' and he protests, so I tell him it's true, and he's got to live with it!
 Between Monday and Wednesday this week, I visited the eight schools who came to the Millennium Centre to the performances. I taught them a sea shanty and another unaccompanied pirate song, which we sang before Sea Dogs. Here I am with a group of restrained and calm young pirates,
We were actually opening the Ty Cerdd Music Centre for Wales Conference. There is an interesting programme planned for the Conference, but I don't think anyone will have as much fun as we did today. We were in the foyer of the building, which has great acoustics, and is a lovely informal space for children, many of whom are hearing their first live musical performance.
When both performances were done, I walked to Penarth Marina, across the barrage. It's an interesting area, some of it very developed, but still some parts wild and scruffy. I tried to picture Cardiff Bay in its heyday, but couldn't really  get a sense of it, as the sun shone and lots of people walked, cycling, jogged, picnicked and sailed around. New buildings, leisure boats, and clean water. 

This wonderful sculpture commemorates those lost at sea.
I sat and looked at this for a long time.
Home now, and unbelievably tired. But so so happy.

You can hear Sea Dogs on Soundcloud if you'd like,
https://soundcloud.com/francescakaypoet/sea-dogs-a-pirate-tale-for


No comments:

Post a Comment