Sunday 1 June 2014

Walking up Hay Bluff. Eating ice cream.

 I started my preparation for a huge week of school workshops and performances by striding up Hay Bluff.
 The ascent is quite steep which makes me feel as though I am really exercising, and the views from the top of the ridge are astonishing. That's PenyFan in the distance, looking very one dimensional.
The hawthorn is in full flower, and there were splashes of white wherever I looked.
 The air was full of skylarks singing. Swallows swooped below me as I sat on the top, and a hang glider twirled in the breeze.
Usually there are only sheep, some cows, and ponies as company. The foals happy resting in the sunshine. Bees buzzing, even at the top of the ridge. A skylark walked past me as I sat very still. I've never seen one close up before.
Today is the last day of the Hay Festival however, and it's not raining, so the car park was full of people eating ice cream and feeding their sandwiches to some of the more friendly ponies. I love the contrast of the jolly ice cream van and the dramatic sky behind it.
The ice cream seller and I agreed that it was great to live here.
I'm nearly ready for the week!



2 comments:

  1. My brother moved to Herefordshire when I was about ten and took me up Hay Bluff when I was staying with them. I loved it so much I wanted to go again but it rained and rained for the rest of the week! We went for lots of lovely walks while he lived there though.

    Ice cream vans, another great British tradition that I miss. Good luck with your busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am relishing every moment of this week - and the performances tomorrow! Can't wait.
    I am thinking I might go up Hay Bluff at midsummer. Wonderful place to celebrate the solstice.

    ReplyDelete