Sunday 13 July 2014

Haiku. Wren. Apple Cake.

Poems, especially haiku, take a long time to write, and sometimes I find one unfinished that I have forgotten about, in amongst my notes. Here is a poem I started at the beginning of this year.

While walking by the Wye I heard a wren singing in an ivy covered tree. It was a huge sound, and it seemed to me that it was calling upon the tree to wake, and on the spring to begin. So I took a photo,
and went home and made a load of notes. I always put the date in my notebook, but I can't quite work out if that's 1 or a 2 for the month, so it was either January or February!
I couldn't quite get to the centre of what I wanted to say. It was difficult to express.
So I left it for a while.  Some time later, after writing down an Apple Cake recipe from the internet, and making some lists of things to do, the haiku came into my mind again, so I started working on it as I was baking.
I found it again recently, having been looking for the recipe, remembering that I had written it in a notebook.
 Note that I have written hoorah underneath the utter confusion of the top right had corner. I think this means I believed the haiku to be complete.
 However, I am not so sure now.
Here it is;

one voice declares spring -
ivy shivering with song
trees compelled to wake

I'll leave it, and see what happens next time I come across it!



4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see this development on the page. I think we assume poets work in their heads, so seeing words tried out on paper is illuminating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. To be honest, I can't do a lot in my head before actually needing to see the words on the page. I don't type anything until I am sure it's a finished piece though - got to be the pencil, pen, and paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fabulous to see your notebook and have an insight into a wordy mind. I love the thought that the little wren is calling for Spring to awaken. Such beautiful words as always. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Laney. The wren is one of my favourite birds - it is so tiny and yet so loud! My other favourite is the heron - much larger and almost completely silent!

    ReplyDelete