Sunday 20 July 2014

Orchids. Easy to keep? Yes!

I have been looking at the orchids that live on two windowsills in my home.
 Some are in the kitchen,
and some on the little windowsill on the landing, next to the bathroom.
I love all of them, and am always delighted by their thick glossy leaves, aerial roots, and long flower stems, none of them neat or tidy looking, but so vigorous.
I know the common perception of orchids is that they are difficult to keep, and many orchids are bought, treated like a long lasting cut flower and then thrown away. However, it's possible to keep them for years, and there are a few rules that will help you do this!

First of all, they need light, but not direct sunlight. I keep the blind in the kitchen just a little down in the summer to keep the full sun off - and the upstairs windowsill doesn't get direct sun, so that's perfect.

Secondly, keep them in a clear plastic pot. They need the light on their roots. The orchids grown for houses  originated growing on trees, so they don't want to be in the confined in a dark pot.
Orchids like humidity, so a kitchen is great. And the windowsill outside the bathroom is good too. I also mist mine regularly, spraying the flowers and leaves.  And watering the compost in the pots too, but not a huge amount.
When flowering is finished, don't cut the flower stem down immediately. Often the next flower stem grows from it. Wait until the stem has actually died back before cutting it, just to be sure.
I always have several in flower, and others are resting. Orchids bring colour and exotic beauty!
Oh - and watch out for wildlife living amongst the pots.





2 comments:

  1. heheheh love the wildlife betwixt the orchids :) I love orchids but have never tried to keep one, we do look after next doors though when they go away, that and the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am imagining the cat is more time consuming than the orchid! I

    ReplyDelete