Friday 7 March 2014

Odysseus and the parquet floor


A mythological day in Ysgol Bryn Coch in Mold today. The year 5 classes are looking at Greek Myths, and I was asked to fit my poetry workshops in with that theme.

I took my childhood copy of Tales from the Odyssey with me.  I was given this book at the age of five, and I actually lived in the beautifully illustrated pages, and sailed with Odysseus. Looking at it before taking it to school today, I realised how well I know the pictures, and how deeply familiar the story is to me. I know the images and story better than my real childhood, my recollection of which which is a bit hazy, I think because all I did was read!
I'm lucky enough to have been a regular visitor to Ysgol Bryn Coch. The children are great writers, and soak up stories and ideas. The staff do that wonderfully generous thing of stepping back to let me take the workshop, and then supporting the children when they come to write. It's a real pleasure to be there.

And the parquet? Well, the long corridors and big rooms of the school have fabulous parquet floors! Perhaps not that fabulous, as some of the wooden pieces are a little loose, and so make a marvellous sound as you walk upon them! They are being replaced with better flooring, but I know it's a feature that has been commented on by other visiting writers and artists!
The poetry is the thing however, and finishing this great week of writing and presenting poetry in schools and libraries with such a special day makes me feel so fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment