Thursday 13 March 2014

Willy Wonka's Poetry Factory

Oh my goodness, an absolute gem of a day at St Nicholas Primary School in the Vale of Glamorgan, celebrating World Book Day with the whole school dressed up as book characters, and me telling stories and writing poems with everyone. I was dressed as a poet.

The staff at St Nicholas are enthusiastic about everything, even dressing up as Roald Dahl characters. Here they at the beginning of the day, and they all stayed in character until it was time to go home.
It was great going into classrooms filled with superheroes, princesses, Harry Potters, and other assorted literary characters.

I was asked to judge the World Book Day competitions, one for each class. I did this over lunchtime, helped by Willy Wonka and a golden ticket.
And pictured here after the giving of certificates and prizes,
Amazingly, considering all the excitement, the children produced really good poetry and imaginative work.

There are some lovely displays of work on the walls of St Nicholas School, and I was inspired by this picture. I am going to do a version of it using my wooden letterpress letters making exploding words.




This was another great day. I am so lucky.



2 comments:

  1. An absolutely fantastic day was had by all! The children all had a fabulous time working with you and the work they produced was imaginative and creative and will be continued well into the rest of our reading fortnight. Many thanks Francesca for coming to our school and making our World Book Day celebrations so special.
    Willy Wonka XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Wonka, it was an absolute pleasure! love from Francesca xx

    ReplyDelete